The History of Browns Pie Shop
Not much is known about the history of Browns Pie Shop. We’re doing our best to uncover the past and whenever we find anything new we will add it to this page.
What We Know So Far…
Thought to have been in the 17th century, Browns Pie Shop was originally a pub called the Fox and Hounds.
Mrs Williamson, wife of then owner John Williamson died in the building at midnight on the 17th July 1800.
A year later the pub was sold by auction to a Mrs Metcalfe who owned and ran the pub for 21 years before her death on the 27th January 1822.
In 1827 the building was owned by a gentleman named Edward Fowler who leased the pub to William Higgins. The name of the pub was changed to the Bessy Bedlam in 1828 after a famous racehorse. The horse later lost many Lincoln people their savings after a letter was circulated tipping the horse to win the St Leger.
When the building was valued in 1829 it was said to be worth £16.
The Bessy Bedlam was taken over in 1841 by William Marshall and John Collins. On the 25th August 1843, at the age of 35 John Collins died of Typhus Fever and his wife inherited the pub before marrying Mr Vincent Bradley just 4 months later.
The city magistrates transferred the license of the Bessy Bedlam to Vincent Bradley in 1844. It is unclear what happened but on the 7th September of the same year Mr Bradley was warned by the same magistrates not to, ‘harbour disorderly characters in the building’.
A Richard Horton took over the lease in 1849 and reverted the name of the pub back to the Fox and Hounds, which it was named until the pub’s license was withdrawn in 1898.
Lawrence of Arabia
In 1925 the building was occupied by Lawrence of Arabia whilst he was serving at RAF Cranwell. It was around this time that he wrote his infamous book, ‘The Seven Pillars of Wisdom‘, the legendary account of his leadership of Arab insurgence against the Turks in Syria During World War I.